Fare hike in metro affecting poor pupil
28-year-old Abdul
Wajid — a labourer working at a cardboard boxes factory in Naraina — did not
take the (http://www.delhimetrofare.in) Delhi Metro to work. Nor did 35-year-old
Brijmohan Tiwari, a security guard who lives in Janakpuri. It was the first day
of the second phase of the Delhi Metro fare hike, in which the ticket prices
went up by a maximum of Rs 10. So, the two took buses instead.
“I leave home at 9.30
am and take a Metro from Chawri Bazar to Shadipur, and then a bus from there to
the factory. It takes me 50 minutes. Now, I have to take a bus and it will take
me 90 minutes or more. But I can’t afford Metro anymore,” said Wajid, who earns
Rs 10,000 a month. “Before May, when the first hike took place, a ticket cost
Rs 15; after May it cost Rs 20, and now it is Rs 30.”
For Vicky, a
22-year-old resident of Khajuri, who polishes furniture, work takes him across
the city, and the Metro is the obvious choice. “But now I hope I don’t have to
travel far from home… Earlier I would spend Rs 27 from Kashmere Gate to HUDA
City Centre, but now it’s Rs 60. I earn Rs 12,000 every month,” he said. What
is fair in metro fares?

Comments
Post a Comment